iCan Program Facts
iCan creates an educational, girls-only environment for learning while sparking an interest in engineering.
- Over the course of the iCan program history, more than 200 Alabama Power and Southern Company female engineers have served as volunteers for the program.
- We hold four hands-on activities each year focused on core engineering disciplines.
- We host field trips to Alabama Power plants to showcase environmental controls' work, local manufacturing facilities and universities.
- Girls Engineering Conference is held each spring in coordination with Girls Inc.
- Since the program's inception, we have reached over 1000 middle school girls in the Birmingham area.
- The program has increased female enrollment in area high school engineering academies for Trussville, Hoover and Spain Park.
- iCan provides a forum for networking and relationship building for female engineers.
If you're interested in learning more about iCan or adding the program to your school's curriculum, please contact Mingyawn Satterwhite.